This is London
For Jill Moss, it was bad enough losing the dog she loved. Even more traumatic was watching Bella, a Samoyed, become the first known animal to die from an infection caused by the MRSA superbug.
It has since emerged Ms Moss has also contracted the bacteria. The 34-year-old actress said: "It was heartbreaking watching my dog suffer so. I didn't know dogs could get MRSA. It spread like wildfire through her body and took over her vital organs." She believes she caught MRSA from Bella. Such cross-contamination is virtually unheard of in the UK and experts are warning vets and pet owners to be extra vigilant.